Wednesday, April 25, 2007

kind of sad post

Okay, I admit it... I watch American Idol. I know, I know, it's not exactly quality tv like the Discovery Channel's Planet Earth specials (which are so cool, by the way), but it's great for relaxing at night. Tonight was the "idol gives back" special, and it was really eye-opening to see some of the things that are going on in the world around me. It has really made me want to be a better citizen of the world, which sounds kind of cheesy. It's just that I am so lucky to have all that I do, and I feel like maybe I should try to make more conscious decisions about how I spend my money, and things like that. I think I'm going to now try to buy things that actually contribute to helping others when I can (ie: that product red stuff at gap, if I need a tshirt anyways), along with products that are better for the environment. Apple even has a product red itunes gift card... it costs the same as other gift cards ($25), but apple gives 10% of the purchase price to the global fund. I don't understand why everyone doesn't choose these when giving an itunes gift card. It doesn't cost any extra, and it actually helps others in need. There is also a really cute tote bag that the UN's World Food Programme is selling on amazon. For $60, you get an awesome durable bag, and a child in Africa is fed for an entire school year. They say that this improves school attendance, and girls who go to school often wait to marry and have half as many children. It's just so sad that there are so many people in Africa (and across the globe) who don't have access to the vaccines and medical care that they need, and that so many children are having to grow up without parents because of it. I don't understand how things got so bad in so many places.

I'm sorry for the totally downer post, but the footage on the special was really powerful and really sad. The next post will be about Brent's birthday, though, so it will be way more fun, I promise!

No comments: