Tuesday, May 8, 2007

cake!


Here are some pictures from the cake class I took the weekend before last. It was super fun, and super informative. I have all kinds of great recipies now, all of which are supposed to be fail-proof at Boulder's high altitude (5656 ft). Often, baked goods here will over-rise because the air pressure is lower, so the breads, cakes, and cookies don't have to worry about rising as much. Then, they can collapse. Other times, the edges will bake much faster than the center, because of the dry air, and so a cake will look done, but it's really not. Then, when the oven is opened, heat rushes out and the uncooked middle of a cake can collapse. Either way, I learned how to correctly cut a cake into layers, and how to make different frostings and how to properly use frosting on a cake. Someday, I want to take the fondant class also offered at the cooking school where I took my class. Fondant is like a paste kind of thing that you can roll out or make into shapes. Then you can make crazy cakes like ones that look like pianos or footballs, or pretty much anything you can imagine! The cake I made was a white chiffon cake, with white chocolate buttercream frosting, filled with fresh raspberries and coated in almonds. I also made white chocolate shavings to put on top. Yum!! We all also partnered up to make a total of 6 group cakes, and we got to take home slices of each of those.

A group cake: chocolate with choc-peanut butter frosting.


A slice of my cake!


My stash of cake slices from the group cakes.


My cake is in the front!

1 comment:

Danielle said...

YUM...makes me hungry. Good job on the cake baking!