Wednesday, June 13, 2007

an ode to my mechanics

I LOVE my mechanics. Seriously, I do. My mechanics are the best mechanics ever times ten. The first time I went to them, it was after visiting a different local auto shop that totally tried to charge me for things that didn't apply to me, and whose services turned out to be way more expensive than necessary. The first (bad) auto shop quoted me like $800 to change a head gasket on my blazer's engine about a year and a half ago, and they found this problem after my car was towed to their shop because it wouldn't jump, so the alternator was dead. The new, fantastic wonderful auto shop charged me like $500 for it. Seriously, I love them!!

They always tell me when something needs to be done immediately, versus when I should consider addressing something in the next year. They also treat me completely respectfully and are happy to explain what they do to my car, since I like technical stuff like that sometimes. As a small blonde female, I've definitely experienced not-so-good service that I don't think Brent would have experienced, at other shops (here's looking at you, bad first Boulder shop).

Today, my car wouldn't start, but the lights and power locks and typical your key is in the ignition sound all happened. After opening and shutting the door, it started, so I called my trusty awesome mechanics (after calling my trusty awesome Brent) and headed straight over. They checked it out, and the starter was fine, so they feared it could be the wiring. It was lunchtime, so they took me back home before heading out to lunch, and then later found that the starter's fuse had corroded. They put in one of my extra fuses, kept checking on the car for the rest of the afternoon to confirm that the problem was fixed, and then let me pick it up. The charge for their work? Nada! It was totally free! Plus I got to hang out with a bunch of super cool mechanics, who are all really nice and really respectful, and didn't treat me any differently just because I was a girl. How cool.

No comments: